April 4, 2011
Mom's Cinnamon Rolls
Mom's Cinnamon Rolls
1 pkg (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
1/4 c water, warm (110 degrees)
1 c milk, scalded (180 degrees)*
1/2 c shortening
1/3 c sugar
1 tsp salt
5 c all purpose flour
2 beaten eggs
1 c sugar and 2 Tbsp cinnamon, mixed
1/2 stick butter at room temperature
handful of brown sugar
chopped nuts and/or raisins, if desired
1 c powdered sugar
2 Tbsp milk
1. Soften yeast in warm water (sprinkle 1/2 tsp of sugar on top to help froth). Once yeast mixture is frothy (5-10 minutes), combine scalded milk, shortening, sugar and salt in large mixing bowl; cool to lukewarm. Stir in 2 c of the flour; beat well. Add eggs; mix well. Stir in softened yeast and enough of the flour that dough doesn't come off on your finger when you touch it. (Don't add to much flour; it should be a bit sticky.) Cover dough and let rest 10 minutes.
2. Knead dough 8-10 minutes on counter or in mixer. Place in lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease the surface. Cover lightly with saran wrap. Let rise in warm place until doubled in size (or has a good heap), about 1 hour.
3. Roll out (about 1/4" thick) into a rectangle. Cover with a thin layer of room temperature butter. Sprinkle evenly with cinnamon sugar mixture. You should barely be able to see butter and dough underneath. Top with brown sugar, crumpling it in your hand as you drop on top of cinnamon sugar. The more cinnamon sugar you add, the more will drip down as it bakes and caramelize at the bottom. Sprinkle raisins and/or chopped nuts, if using.
4. Roll up the longer side, making sure it's tight. Slice (using knife or dental floss) into 3/4" slices and place on lightly greased jelly roll pan or 9x13 baking dish. Cover and let rise again until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
5. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
6. Mix glaze. It should be runny, but not too runny. If it's too thick, add 1 tsp milk and mix until reaches drizzling consistency. Spread evenly over each roll.
*To scald milk: Place the milk into a saucepan on medium temperature and heat just until it starts to boil. Immediately remove from stove and set aside.