September 27, 2010

Quick Spaghetti

Thank YOU, Food Nanny. This is the best spaghetti I've ever had. Period. I love it. My husband loves it. My friends love it. My boys love it. My 4 yr old does not like noodles, but he'll finish a plate of these "worms". I love to serve it with tasty chicken, breadsticks or rolls or yummy Italian bread and a salad or vegetable. Serves 4-6. Let me know what you think!

Quick Spaghetti


8 oz uncooked spaghetti
1/4 c olive oil
6 to 8 cloves garlic, minced
2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes, drained OR 6 to 8 vine-ripened or Roma tomatoes, peeled and diced
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1/3 c thinly sliced fresh basil or 2 tsp dried
Grated Parmesan cheese

1. Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, crushed red pepper, and salt. Stir and cook over medium-high heat about 10 minutes.
3. Reserving some of the water, drain the pasta and add it to the sauce. Using tongs, coat the pasta with the sauce. If it is too dry, add some reserved pasta water. Cook over medium heat another 5 minutes. Add the basil and cook 1 minute.
4. When on your plate, top with Parmesan cheese.

*You can add 6 oz cooked bulk Italian sausage to the sauce with the tomatoes.
**You can puree the tomatoes in a blender to make a smoother sauce (I like to puree one can and use the other as is).
***You can add other vegetables to the heated oil before adding the garlic. I like onions and mushrooms and sliced or diced zucchini or squash. Cook until tender then add the garlic and follow the rest of the steps...

No comments:

Post a Comment