October 16, 2017

Slow Cooked Sweet Potato and Cauliflower Soup

I had a giant sweet potato and 3/4 head of cauliflower to use up and found this recipe. I'm lessening the meat in our diet and this is a wonderful, tasty recipe! The kids really liked it but I made it too spicy. Oops. They still ate it but I think they'll eat any soup to get more homemade bread. :) You can top with things such as shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, chopped green onions, croutons, hot sauce (for added kick) and additional salt and pepper. I got this recipe from Jenn on peasandcrayons.com. Serve with your favorite bread. Makes 4 hearty servings.

Slow Cooked Sweet Potato and Cauliflower Soup

1 lb fresh cauliflower, roughly chopped
1 lb sweet potato, peeled and cubed
2 c broth of your choice, though I used chicken
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
2 stalks green onion
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 c milk
2 oz cream cheese

1. Set the slow cooker to high and add cauliflower, sweet potato, broth, onion, green onion, garlic, thyme, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Cook and cover 4-5 hours.
2. Once veggies are super tender (a fork slides right through the thickest center), turn off the slow cooker and add milk and cream cheese. Blend to your taste. I pulsed for one second in my Blendtec and that was plenty--I like a bit of texture in my soup.
3. Serve immediately with toppings. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment