March 6, 2020

Broccoli Super Salad

We get a lot of broccoli here in Okinawa. Between shipments from the U.S. and the local farmers, we can get it year round. I found myself with a couple heads of broccoli and kids who are tired of eating it steamed. I tried this and...well...my husband, my 13 year old and I LOVED it. ha! My younger kids wouldn't try it but I don't blame them. I didn't like strange looking food as a kid, either. Serves 6.

Broccoli Super Salad

2 heads broccoli, washed and cut into small florets
1/4 c toasted sunflower seeds
1/4 c sliced almonds
1/4 c dried cranberries
optional- 1/2-1 c cooked quinoa, cooled
optional- 2 c fresh spinach leaves, washed and (mostly) dried

*dressing:
1/3 c olive oil
3-4 Tbsp honey, agave, or maple syrup
3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 shallot, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp white miso paste
1 Tbsp poppy seeds
pinch of salt and pepper

1. To make dressing, add ingredients to food processor. Taste and adjust ingredients, if necessary.
2. Steam broccoli for 2 minutes, if desired. I actually like it better not steamed, but it does give it a vibrant color. Combine broccoli, sunflower seeds, almonds, cranberries, and quinoa, if using. Toss with dressing until coated according to taste right before serving.

* I couldn't find miso paste. If you can't or don't want to make your own dressing, I suggest Brianna's Home Style Poppy Seed Dressing. It's the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment