May 10, 2016

Homemade Corn Dogs

All of the yummyness of corn dogs without the high fructose corn syrup! Such easy, crunchy goodness. My kids were in heaven (and I was pretty darn pleased myself). I used Oscar Meyer (my favorites dogs), which made 20, and my family of 6--ages 1 to 30-something--polished them off for dinner. ALL of them. Serve with a fruit or veggie salad or steamed vegetable. I got this one off of chef in training website. Makes 16 to 20 corn dogs.

Homemade Corn Dogs

1 c yellow corn meal
1 c flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 c white sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 c + 1 Tbsp milk
1/2 quart canola oil for frying
2-16 oz packages hot dogs
16 popsicle type sticks*

1. In a large bowl, combine corn meal, flour, salt, pepper, sugar and baking powder. Add milk and egg and whisk well.
2. Heat oil in large skillet on stove top, until halfway full or less, over medium heat or 350 degrees. Meanwhile, insert sticks into dogs until a few inches pokes out.
3. Dip/roll hot dogs into batter until completely covered. Cooking a few corn dogs at at time, cook in oil until golden brown, about 3 minutes each side. Set on paper towel to drain excess oil. Serve immediately once all dogs are cooked and relish the shouts of joy.

* You could also use skewers, though I'd blunt the tips so nobody impales their mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment