September 17, 2016

Southern Baked Yellow Squash

If you're like me--and every other neighbor around me--you had yellow summer squash coming out of your ears. I don't love it sauteed in butter, blah blah bleck, but this recipe has me excited. Such a tasty and fun way to use up the squash and get your carotenoids and antioxidants! My kids still didn't like it because they HATE the texture of any kind of squash. But I LOOOOOVE the leftovers so it's fine by me! It takes about an hour and a half to be ready so give yourself enough time (I didn't realize this and was in a hurry so I heated it under 425 degree oven for 15 minutes...still delicious). Makes an 8x8 pan.

Southern Baked Yellow Squash

3 lbs yellow squash, washed and cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 c Panko bread crumbs
1/2 c diced onion
2 eggs
1/4 c butter
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

TOPPING:
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1/4 c Panko bread crumbs

1. Place summer squash in a large soup pot, cover with 1/2" water and boil until soft, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 2-quart baking dish (like an 8x8 dish)
2. Drain squash well and place in large mixing bowl; mash until slightly chunky. Stir 1/2 c bread crumbs, onion, eggs, butter, sugar, salt and pepper into hot squash until butter is melted; spread into prepared baking dish.
3. Drizzle 3 Tbsp melted butter on top of squash mixture. Sprinkle 1/4 c bread crumbs evenly over top.
4. Bake in preheated oven until casserole is cooked through and top is golden brown; about an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment