February 13, 2011

New-Style Pork Chops

I've been looking for a yummy pork chop recipe that doesn't involve cream of mushroom soup. Don't get me wrong, I always love my chops smothered in mushroom soup, but I knew there had to be another way...and then I found this recipe in my Betty Crocker recipe book. It's so good! If you're not an olive fan like myself, I'd still use them. You don't have to eat them, and they add a unique flavor. I served them over rice, but I'd suggest serving them alongside risotto, rice pilaf or mashed potatoes and a vegetable. Serves 6.

New-Style Pork Chops

6 pork loin or rib chops, about 1" thick (about 2 lbs)
1 c dry Marsala wine or beef broth
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp honey

Place pork in shallow glass or plastic dish. In small bowl mix wine, vinegar, lemon juice and honey. Pour over pork. Turn to coat on both sides. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours but no more than 24 hours, turning occasionally.

2 Tbsp olive oil*
1/2 c chopped red onion
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 c Kalamata olives, pitted**
1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

After pork has marinated, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook remaining ingredients in oil about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion is tender.

Remove pork from marinade, reserving marinade. Add pork to skillet. Cook about 10 minutes, turning pork once, until pork is brown. Add reserve marinade. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes (or until pork is no longer pink when cut near bone). Serve pork with pan sauce.

* Use 1 Tbsp olive oil and trim fat off chops to lower fat content.
**  Here's another recipe that calls for Kalamata olives.

No comments:

Post a Comment